Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2018

AAU28D: Voice Study and Production Lesson Six

The lesson started with learning about 4 different personalities, how they work and how they cannot work. By knowing how each type of personality tends to work, we will be able to predict their responses and what can get their attention and corporation. The idea of categorising people into their typical personality stereotype was always taught to us at some points of our life with the goal of helping us understand us and understand the others. I guess that it’s precisely how we were grouped from the last lesson. In any case, the general idea was that we should customise our presentation to cater to everyone so that we may achieve the goal of our presentation.


Kelly (2016, October). Football huddle picture.


Looking back at past lessons so far, I could not help but think that our role is in fact very similar to that of a politician seeking to convince the audience. This is because having the skills to articulate confidently, fluently and yet full of emotions sounds like what an actor needs to pull off a play perfectly. Throw in some psychological knowledge in the crafting of a speech or a presentation, and you will have a skilled politician-in-training who can charm the audience into faithful believers (even more so apparent as we take a look at Martin Luther King addressing the public) It would appear that the ability to speak properly and speak well have been high underrated by me so far!
There are so many techniques involved with speaking and I guess that is what the poetry reading is for. We moved on to poem reading after the warm-up activities where we activated our vocal apparatus and relaxed our stiff posture. Everyone had already picked up a poem of their liking and it seems that I’m quite attracted to the how William Blake writes. His words are so visual that I can play out the scene like a movie in my head, and it helped me to get a gist of he would have wanted to read his poem. However, to my dismay, I have not done enough research about what William Blake was doing while writing his poems as it turns out that him taking drugs would lend a feverous energy to whatever emotions that he is infusing into the poems.


Holden (2017, January). Visual poetry picture.

Of all the people coming up to do their poem reading, Ian stood out the most as he was acting and pouring a wild burst of energy into his anxiety poem. I was uncomfortable yet fascinated because the burst of energy he had kind of went way off from anxiety to maniacal, but he wasn’t bothered at all about putting on such a performance in class. It was something that I could never have done or dared to do because what he is doing is to amplify the emotions in the words and infecting everyone with one huge emotional outburst. The brief moment where he got the anxiety part right though, made a really big impression on me on how much emotions can affect the audience.

I was not able to do that with ‘Tyger Tyger’ but I am aiming to be able to have the ability to put my feelings across to the audience with future practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment