Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2018

AAU28D: Voice Study and Production Lesson Eight

Having the imagination and creativity to taste the words allows us to realise the full potential of words. It leads to making our speech more interesting and being able to let go will free up our voice and let us gain the confidence to speak. The game Moving Day really helped a lot in the class as shrieking and screaming were heard all around the room. It’s a pity though, as I am not used to playing around since I had childhood asthma when I was little. Despite making full recovery, I missed out on the opportunity to be bold and mix around with everyone else. I admired people who are running around playing to their heart’s content and spent more time analysing how are they having fun.

My reactions are slow, but I figure that I can probably get involved in a group activity more so as to become more active as a person and warm up quicker. This is a goal to achieve if I want to make my warming up exercise work as it should. We went through the game This Is My next, and I struggled to keep up. It also indicates how I should try to memorise and associate items with certain memory. Hence, I went to look up more memory technique and stumbled upon the memory palace technique.


Fadul (2017, March). Mind palace picture

It’s a technique created by Simonides of Ceos more than 2000 years ago because back then, information is not usually recorded, and people were mostly uneducated. Information was more commonly passed down by word of mouth and got more and more inaccurate when parts of the information get forgotten and replaced (Metivier, 2018).

What happens is that a palace within the mind is constructed. As we move along the walkway, there are rooms on each side of the wall. When the door opens, the room is filled with nothing and this is where we start to fill the room up with objects that remind us of the line that we want to memorise. Each room is filled up with different objects relating to what we want to memorise so when we revisit the mind palace, we should be able to recall our lines. I would hope to try this technique to memorise my script for the presentation.


The highlight of the day came when it’s time to start the group presentation on Donald Trump. The group this time round got even better than the previous group when it came to memorizing their scripts. This time around since the presentation did not have as much information given as before, I was able to pick up on the important learning points from the presentation. Each section of the presentation was properly structured in a logical manner and really suited to how I take in information.

The few things that were a pity in the presentation was that Wei Suen could have emphasized on some of the gestures that Donald Trump uses because the mini-video ran through all the gestures really fast. Also, the presentation tips at the end that was summed up by Meryl was pretty good although it was delivered in a way that her part seems unconnected to the rest of the presentation.

Some of the interesting things that I learned here was that the presentation should start with a person that has a higher energy because the energy level will carry over to the next person. Having the energy level go down will make it hard for the next person to pick it up again so the arrangement of who goes first and who goes last is actually something very important as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment