Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2018

AAU28D: Voice Study and Production Lesson Four

We started with the Zip Zap Boin game to get us moving. It’s a tough game for me since I do not have the greatest reaction time and I needed time to cope with the actions and reactions. It sure got me warmed up though as we carried on with the game, which helped to increase my ability to take in information from my surroundings at a faster rate. I thought that this would be great for studying too as being able to take in information quickly would greatly increase the efficiency of studying within a shorter span of time. We followed up with other warming-up activities and I felt my enthusiasm level increase because of the excitement in the air after some fun. The excitement level allowed me to put in more effort into the consonance training exercise in which I find myself being able to use my voice at a higher consonance more easily.

After the activities, we dived into some theory into how poems are written and how they should be read. Most poems that I have read before usually come with a rhythm but in fact, there are many more styles. Understanding the styles, the history and the mindset of the author changes the way we read poems entirely, which was rather new to me. I have once learnt how placing emphasis on a different word of the same sentence each time could change the meaning entirely but with poems, it is much more than that. Slowing down to read the words deliberately, infusing the right emotions into each word with the understanding of the intent behind the words allowed me to visualise clearly each scenario that was described by the poem and I really enjoyed the experience.


Sanders (2015, July). Donald Trump speech photograph.


We investigated how speeches are made by politicians like Donald Trump and saw how he was able to create a personal connection with the audience with brilliantly placed filler words and pauses. To me, it was the physical representation of how the pen is mightier than the sword because great ideas are penned down and planned properly before execution. By making use of well-placed words, we can inspire the emotion that we want in our audience such that they will start to personally believe in what we are saying. People tend to try and find reasons to accommodate what they have accepted, and in doing so will turn away any negative ideas that are associated with the belief. I realised that this was also how an actor can sway the audience, thus making a story come alive. This will be a very important tool for the future if we are able to polish our skills properly, which is something I hope to grasp in the module.

No comments:

Post a Comment